Menstruation is a painful process that women go through. Below, you will find some Ayurvedic tips to alleviate the pain.
- Practise yoga postures such as Vajrasana, Pavanmuktasana, Bhujangasana and Titali asana. Avoid strenuous yogic postures during menstrual cycle.
- Alternate nostril breathing and meditation will help minimising the emotional ups and downs around menstrual cycle.
- Eat healthy, warm, fresh food and include leafy and fibrous vegetables in your diet. Reduce caffeine consumption. Eat less chili, garlic and hot and pungent food. Avoid consuming white sugar, processed white flours, artificial colouring and additives.
- Put five grams of fenugreek seeds in 200 ml of boiled water. Reduce the amount of water to 150 ml. Drink this twice daily one week before the cycle begins until the day after the cycle ends.
- Consume two tablespoons of flax seeds or sesame seeds every day during the cycle.
- Mix 5 ml of castor oil with hot water, helps to tackle constipation.
- Consume 5 ml of fresh organic aloe vera juice every day for three months but not during the cycle. This helps to detox the uterus and ovaries.
- Refrain from physical and mental exertion.
Aparna K. BAMS, MD, PhD
Consultant advisor for development of Oneworld Ayurveda and visiting physician
Aparna is one of the few specialists in the world with a PhD in Ayurveda. Born into an Ayurvedic family which operates a traditional Ayurvedic Panchakarma hospital in Kerala, India, she grew up observing her father, the renowned Dr. Padmanabhan Read more »