Never has boosting your immune system been more important than today. The immune system is a remarkably effective structure that protects you from disease-spreading organisms and incorporates specificity, and inducibility. To function well, it requires balance and harmony and your first line of defense is a healthy lifestyle. For special immune system boosters, Ayurveda recommends the following:
DIY Easy Ayurveda Immune system booster
(How to make Golden Milk at home)
- Warm 50 g turmeric powder on a very low flame
- Add 10 g long or black pepper powder
- Add 25 ml ghee and mix well for five minutes
- Allow to cool and store in an airtight container
Take daily with a teaspoon of hot water or hot milk—highly beneficial for boosting your immune system, especially for the respiratory system.
Immune System-boosting Tips
- Eat easily digestible organic, fresh, non-processed whole foods.
- A strong immune system is a product of good digestion. To enhance it, use spices like cumin, coriander, ginger, garlic, etc.
- Eat at the proper time and in the right quantity.
- Follow the Ayurvedic daily rituals and seasonal regimen.
- Sleep well, minimise stress.
- Engage in mindful practices like yoga asanas (poses), Pranayama (breathing exercises), and meditation.
- Rasayana herbs enhance the body’s resistance. These are among others Guduchi or heart-leaved moonseed, turmeric, holy basil, ashwagandha, licorice, and amla, also called Indian gooseberry.
- Yearly Panchakarma detox therapies help to get rid of toxins and are a great way to keep your immune system strong.
Additional Ayurvedic tips
- Drink 1 glass of hot water mixed with the juice of half a lemon early morning on an empty stomach
- Drink 2 liters of warm or boiled water every day. It is highly recommended to include a little bit of ginger, turmeric, or holy basil since they are anti-inflammatory, anti-infectious, and thus great immune system boosters.
- Eat home-cooked meals as often as possible.
- Avoid eating leftover foods.
- Avoid ice-cold drinks or cold water.
- Eat only cooked foods.
Aparna K. BAMS, MD, PhD
Consultant advisor for development of Oneworld Ayurveda and visiting physician
Aparna is one of the few specialists in the world with a PhD in Ayurveda. Born into an Ayurvedic family which operates a traditional Ayurvedic Panchakarma hospital in Kerala, India, she grew up observing her father, the renowned Dr. Padmanabhan Read more »