- Flaxseeds are considered a superfood, the best natural alternative to support the immune system, augment vigour and muscular strength. Ayurveda considers them as Balya—a provider of strength. They help balance the Vata element and are very effective in treating its disorders.
- Flaxseeds and flax oil are known as Medhya—brain booster—and contain Omega 6 and Omega 3 fatty acids that enhance the functions of the human brain. Thus, flaxseed oil can help treat depression, anxiety, Alzheimer’s disease, ADHD, epilepsy, and certain other bipolar health disorders.
- Flaxseeds prevent the growth of cancer cells. Their lignin content has an anti-angiogenic property that stops tumours from forming new blood vessels. Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties increase protection against radiation.
- Daily consummation can help improve glycemic control in obesity with pre-diabetes.
- Flaxseeds can act as an antidepressant and lessen hypertension, headache, fatigue, anxiety, and physical exhaustion associated with hypertension.
- Thanks to the high concentration of mucilage, they are an excellent laxative.
- They are extremely effective in preventing the infestation of free radicals, toxic substances, salt, uric acids and also prevent the risk of liver diseases.
- Flaxseeds regulate the metabolism of cholesterol and fat in the body. They have the ability to boost HDL or good cholesterol and to reduce LDL or bad cholesterol and triglycerides.
- Flaxseed is heavy, slimy and hot in nature and can vitiate Pitta and Kapha when used in excess. Consumption is not advised in bleeding disorders, diseases of the eyes and semen.
Aparna K. BAMS, MD, PhD
Consultant advisor for development of Oneworld Ayurveda and visiting physician
Aparna is one of the few specialists in the world with a PhD in Ayurveda. Born into an Ayurvedic family which operates a traditional Ayurvedic Panchakarma hospital in Kerala, India, she grew up observing her father, the renowned Dr. Padmanabhan Read more »
Tags : Flaxseeds
Leave a Reply