In our previous post, we discuss about how to relieve tension headache. This time we will touch on sinus headache and how it can be treated through Ayurveda.
Before we get there, we must be able to identify what type of headache do you have. Sinus headache are usually felt in the cheekbones, forehead or the bridge of the nose. If you experience pains in one of those area, here are the methods to lessen your pain.
- Massage the face, neck, forehead and temples with sesame oil or coconut oil. Put eucalyptus oil or lemongrass oil to hot water and expose these areas to the hot steam for 10 minutes. It is advisable to cover the eyes with wet cotton pad. Do this twice daily
- Avoid cold and frozen food, aerated drinks, banana, yogurt and other dairy products for a week
- Avoid being exposed to direct wind, breeze or air conditioner. Please also refrain from swimming and frequent head showers
- Cover the ears and head with a warm scarf before sleeping
- Minimise sweet, sour and salty tastes in your food
- Put 2 grams of ginger, 1 gram of black pepper and 1 gram of long pepper into your tea. Alternatively, put cumin, turmeric, ginger and black pepper into your tea. Consume this tea twice daily
- Make a small poultice with black cumin seeds. Heat it over a pan and press the heated poultice over the sinuses and inhale
- Do saline luke warm water rinse or Neti only under supervision
- Consult with an Ayurveda doctor and learn the proper method of Pratimarsha Nasya with Anu Taila before commencing doing it